School staff are required to complete training on various topics on an annual basis. This page includes information about and a listing of those required training pieces for both school based staff as well as central office staff. These annual trainings should be part of the first G-Day or opening day and not for PD credit.
Training Required for School-based Staff. Training topics marked with [CO] are required of ALL central office staff.
- School Technology Training [CO] - Required 2022-2023
- Review the Back to School Presentation and document training via staff meeting signature page (CO staff must sign and submit AUP after reviewing information). Training includes required information from KDE: Records retention and Data Security. The training also includes general tech information and procedures for Pulaski County Schools.
- Read Acceptable Use Policy
- Submit signed Staff User Agreement to the STC
- Staff AUP Signature Page
- Bloodborne Pathogen Training [CO] - Required 2022-2023
- Watch the video
- Take the online quiz
- Watch the video
- Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention Training [CO] - Required for new hires. Required for ALL 2022-2023
* Required for all school administrators, certified staff members, office staff, instructional assistants, coaches and extracurricular sponsors in 2020-21 or within 90 days of hire and every other year thereafter.
- Review Code of Conduct: (updated version to be posted 7/14/21) “School Employee Duty to Report”, p. 33-35 - Required 2022-2023
- Review relevant PCS Policies
- 09.227 – Report Child Abuse
- 03.23253 – Report Domestic/Dating Violence
- 09.2211 – Report Criminal Activity, including Human Trafficking
- Professional Boundary Training – required for all middle school and high school staff annually. Contact Lori Price for information. - Required 2022-2023
- Introduction to PBIS - Required for ALL staff 2022-2023 [CO]:
- Watch the video PBIS (Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports)
- Complete the quiz after watching the video.
- Bullying Prevention Training - Required 2022-2023
- FERPA/Confidentiality Training [CO] - Required 2022-2023
- This may be done as a group in a faculty meeting, or independently by staff with network credentials.
- Review the PowerPoint
- Review relevant PCS Policies
- Take the online quiz (if reviewed individually) --OR-- Document attendance with an agenda and sign-in sheet (if reviewed as group)
- PD Facilitator at each school should certify all staff assigned the building have completed this training and report completion to Linda Flynn.
9. Suicide Prevention Training: Required 1 hour in-person training for all high school and middle school principals, guidance counselors and teachers in 2018-2019 and every other year thereafter. New hires in 2021-2022 must receive a packet of information on suicide prevention. Required for all MS/HS staff 2022-2023
- Send certificate to the Building PD Facilitator or sign a signature page provided by the school verifying completion..
- Information and Resources for Training are available on the KY Cabinet for Health and Family Services' Suicide Prevention Training and Resources for Educators page.
10. Mental Health and Physical Restraint and Seclusion [CO] - Required 2022-2023
- Recommended: watch four videos focused on mental health or other as approved by administrator.
- Review relevant PCS guidelines, policies, and procedures
- PCS Guidelines and Best Practices
- 09.2212 – Physical Restraint and Seclusion
- 09.2212AP21 – Reporting Form
- Submit training verification form to the Building PD Facilitator.
11. Emergency Management Plan Training [CO] - Required 2022-2023
- Review safety procedures for emergencies (including District and School Emergency Plans)
- Review evacuation routes (as posted in each classroom/room)
- Review assigned roles and responsibilities during emergencies
- Login to the emergency management website. Notify your school administrator if you are unable to access the site.
- Login to Raptor. Notify your school administrator if you are unable to access the site/app.
12. Alcohol, Tobacco, other Drugs (ATOD) Training - Required 2022-2023 - Code of Conduct information.
13. Gifted and Talented Training- Required 2022-2023 - ALL teachers are required to complete annual GT training - Gifted and Talented Identification in Kentucky. KRS 157.200
14. Seizure Disorder Training- Required for new staff 2022-2023 - All principals, guidance counselors and teachers to complete a 1-time, one-hour training. Submit documentation to the building facilitator. Two possible resources include:
- Epilepsy Foundation: Seizure Training for School Personnel
- Free online courses for role-specific school staff and in-person options
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Training for Professionals
- Specific training designed for role-specific school staff that re-routes to Epilepsy Foundation
- More information links to CDC specific resources
15. Active Shooter Training Video: - Required 2022-2023 This is a 1-hour training required for ALL staff annually (certified and classified) by November 1.
16. Medication Training:- Required 2022-2023 See the medication administration training page for materials.
Annual TRAINING REQUIRED for STUDENTS
- Sign Electronic User Agreement
- Students sign Acceptable Use Agreement (front of Code of Conduct)
- Submit completed forms to STC. Do this at start of year, and for all new students.
- Cyberbullying, Social Networking Sites, Cell Phone use
- Use online resources, such as CommonSenseMedia.org
- Document in lesson plans. Must include:
- Social Networking
- Suicide Prevention Training for Middle School and High School Students
- Show A Cry for Help - Suicide Prevention Videos
- Document in lesson plans
- Code of Conduct
- Review prohibited behavior, including alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs (ATOD)
- Student Duty to Report.
- Review other content, as directed by administrator.
- Emergency Management Drills